Urethral stricture refers to any narrowing of the urethra for any reason whether or not it actually impacts the flow of urine out of the bladder. Any inflammation of urethra can result in scarring, which then can lead to a stricture or a narrowing of the urethra. Trauma, infection, tumors, surgeries, or any other cause of scarring may lead to urethral narrowing or stricture. Mechanical narrowing of the urethra without scar formation (developmental causes or prostate enlargement) can also cause urethral stricture. Urethral stricture is significantly more common in men and boys compared to women and girls. This condition is considered rare in females.
Injury or damage to the urethra can heal with scar tissue that may cause a stricture. There are various types of injury that can damage the urethra. For example, an injury may occur during medical procedures to look into your bladder via your urethra; radiotherapy treatment may damage your urethra; a fall astride on to the frame of a bike can cause damage.
Infection of your urethra is another cause – for examples Sexually transmitted infections such as gonorrhoea or chlamydia. Infection as a complication of the long-term use of a tube (catheter to drain your bladder.Infection may cause inflammation in the tissues in and around your urethra.
Common Causes of Stricture Urethra
- Trauma from injury or accidents (for example, falling on a frame of a bicycle between the legs, or a car accident)
- Pelvic injury or trauma
- Previous procedures involving the urethra (urinary catheters, surgeries, cystoscopy)
- Previous prostate surgery (TURP or transurethral resection of the prostate)
- Prostate enlargement
- Cancer of the urethra (rare)
- Infections of the urethra (sexually transmitted diseases or STDs, urethritis, gonorrhea, chlamydia)
- Prostate infection or inflammation (prostatitis)
- Previous hypospadias surgery (a congenital birth defect in which the opening of the urethra is on the underside of the penis instead of the tip)
- Congenital malformations of the urethra, which rarely can cause urethral stricture in children
Expertise of Dr Waheed Zaman
- End to End Urethroplasty
- Buccal mucosa augmentation urethroplasty
- Laser endoscopic urethroplasty (OIU)